An estimated average of 19,700 people per year went to hospital emergency departments because of injuries associated with grills or barbecues in 2014–2018. Roughly half of these injuries (9,500) were thermal burns.
Grill fires on residential properties result in an estimated average of 10 deaths, 100 injuries, and $37 Million in Property Loss each year.
Some Example Injuries:
1. “24-year-old man was burned when he tried to relight a grill with lighter fluid, and it exploded in his face.”
2. “46-year-old man suffered burns over 10–19 percent of his body after using gasoline to light a grill. The canister ignited and ignited his shirt.”
3. “Father had his 7-month-old daughter in a chest carrier when he got too close to a grill. The girl was burned on her foot and knee.”
4. “4-year-old girl ran over a hot coal that had just been poured out of a grill and burned her foot.”
5. “7-year-old boy was playing football at home and ran into a hot grill.”
6. “2-year-old boy fell into a grill that was turned off but still hot. He suffered first-degree burns to his cheek, chest, and forearm.”
Charcoal Grills can pose a serious poisoning threat due to the venting of carbon monoxide (CO). The Consumer Product Safety Commission CPSC estimates that 20 people die annually from accidentally ingesting carbon monoxide from charcoal grills. These grills can also be a potential fire hazard.
Utilize these precautions when using charcoal grills:
1. Never use a Charcoal Grill Indoors
2. Fill the base of the grill with no more than 2 inches of Charcoal Depth
3. Only use BBQ starter fluid to start the Grill.
4. Let the fluid soak into the coals for a minute before igniting
5. Keep the Charcoal Lighter Fluid at a safe distance from the Grill.
6. Charcoal grills are permitted on terraces and balconies only if there is at least 10 feet of clearance from the building, and a water source immediately nearby, such as a hose (or 4 gallons of water).
7. When cleaning the grill, dispose of the ashes in a metal container with a tight lid, and add water. Do not remove the ashes until they have fully cooled.
Propane And Gas Grill Safety Tips and Precautions:
Propane Grills present an enormous fire hazard unless properly maintained and utilized correctly. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is aware of more than 500 fires that result annually from their misuse or malfunction.
Utilize these precautions specifically when using Propane Grills:
1. Store Propane Tanks Outdoors
2. Never store or transport Propane Tanks in the trunk of your car.
3. Turn the gas off all the way after you are finished.
4. Check for damage to the tank before you decide to refill it. To inspect for a leak, spray a soapy solution over the connections and watch for bubbles. Replace the leaking parts before using the grill.
5. Ignite the Propane Grill with the lid open not closed.
6. Turn off the gas first before turning off the controls.
7. No more than two 20-pound propane tanks are allowed on the property of a one- or two-family home.
8. Make sure connections are secure before turning on the gas, especially if the grill hasn’t been used in months.
Electric Grill Safety Precautions:
Electric Grills are a lot safer to use than propane and charcoal grills, but safety precautions need to be used with them as well.
Utilize these tips when using electric grills:
1. Do not use lighter fluid or any other combustible materials.
2. When using an extension cord make sure it is rated for the required amperage by the grill
3. The cord should be unplugged when not in use, and out of a foot path when not in use to prevent trips and falls.
4. As always follow the Manufactures instructions.
Barbeque Season Is Here At Last:
With barbecue season already here, homeowners should heed the following safety precautions to keep their families and property safe.
1. Always make sure that the grill is used in a safe place.
2. If you use a lighter, make sure you don’t leave it lying around where children can reach it.
3. Never leave the grill unattended, as this is generally when accidents happen.
4. Keep a fire extinguisher or garden hose nearby.
5. Ensure that the grill is completely cooled before moving it or placing it back in storage.
6. Ensure that the grill is only used on a level surface that cannot burn.
7. Clean out the grease and other debris in the grill periodically.
8. Don’t wear loose clothing that might catch fire while you’re cooking.
9. Use long-handled barbecue tools and flame-resistant oven mitts.
10. Keep alcoholic beverages away from the grill; they are flammable!
Homeowners should exercise caution when using any kind of grill, as they can harm life and property in numerous ways.
If you ever have any questions, feel free to leave them below and I will be more than happy to help you out.
All the best,
Troy Halstenson (Founder)